Search little miss sweetie

Tuesday 17 March 2015

Dark chocolate mousse





Everyone makes impulsive purchases. I admittedly do...not all the time...but...sometimes. There are occasions when you come across something so irresistible that you have no choice but to take it home. Like when I spotted a set of Le Creuset heart-shaped mini cocottes last month, I knew I had to buy it. I had to. It was calling my name. Even though I couldn't at all fathom what I could possibly use them for. But I refuse to be a remorseful shopper.  I am determined to find a way to put them to good use...and here it is:


Chocolate mousse!


The mini cocottes make a perfect serving size, complete with covers, so you don't even need plastic film to store them in the fridge.  I enjoy dark chocolate, so I used a 72% cacao chocolate bar, but feel free to substitute a milkier chocolate to taste.  Just be sure to adjust the sugar slightly if using milk chocolate, since milk chocolates are typically sweeter than their darker counterparts.  I've also added a Godiva chocolate liqueur to enhance the chocolate flavor, this part can be omitted or switched up with different liqueurs.  (I've had delicious success with Frangelico and Grand Marnier!)





Dark Chocolate Mousse

~makes 6 small servings



75ml heavy cream
125g dark chocolate, chopped
3 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
25g granulated sugar
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 tablespoon chocolate liqueur (optional)



For garnish (optional):
Fresh berries
Whipped cream



Place chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.  Heat cream in a small saucepan until boiling then pour over chocolate. Let stand for 5 minutes, do not stir.




Meanwhile, sprinkle salt in egg whites.   Whip at medium speed with a hand mixer, gradually adding in sugar until soft peaks stage. 




Stir the chocolate-cream mixture until smooth and shiny. Stir in egg yolk and liqueur.  





Gently fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula.  Then gently fold in the rest, taking care not to deflate the air bubbles, until there are no traces of egg whites. 





Divide the mixture amongst 6 small bowls (or your precious heart-shaped mini cocottes) or ramekins. Cover with lid or plastic film and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours. 



Just before serving, garnish with fresh whipped cream and berries.  Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. After 3 years of selling his mousses to specialty stores in NYC, Chef Johan just opened the first-ever Chocolate Mousse Bar in the US. Mousses are crafted in small batches using the finest Belgian chocolate and premium ingredients.

    See more: - https://mojodesserts.com/

    ReplyDelete